Role of counselor; academic support; guidance curriculum; assistance with problems, personal crisis, and social development
Endorsement Pathways; Graduation Plans; College planning, Financial Aid; PSAT/SAT/ACT/TSI
Social Service Resources
Community partners who offer free or low-cost services to families
Additional reading with parenting tips and advice
Information for Families
- DVISD Secondary Course Catalog
- College & Career Readiness – College Knowledge Website
- UT Automatic Admissions Policy
- Texas Education Agency’s Graduation Toolkit – English Spanish
The following school crisis resources are available to those who are in need:
College & Career
- Go-to-College Guidebook – While it will need to be revised to address new graduation requirements beginning with the class of 2018, this resource provides a wide array of information and examples to help students and parents prepare to go to college.
Activities & Resources for Counselors
- Parenting Information Handouts
- Elementary Career Interest Inventor
- Alive Austin Counseling Services
- Workers Assistance Program
- CTE Resources
- Advanced Acceleration Exams
- College Week
For boys in a support group: Operation, Breaking the Boy Code By: Dr. Poppy Moon
For children who know someone incarcerated: My Daddy is in Jail By: Janet M. Bender
Free Publications from the Department of Education: Information on Safety, Crime and Violence in the Nation’s Schools
During the past several years the U.S. Department of Education has produced a variety of free information on the topics of safety, crime and violence in the Nation’s schools. The intended audience for this information is educators, administrators, safety officials and parents. All of the information is available at no cost from the ED Pubs website at http://www.edpubs.gov .
From the homepage of this site, select the link marked FIND PUBLICATIONS BY and selectSubject. In the alphabetical list choose “S” for Safety. This will display the complete list of the available publications, some of which may be downloaded online and others ordered for delivery by mail.
Publications available by mail may also be ordered by calling toll-free 1-877-4-ED-PUBS (1-877-433-7827), Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. (ET). Please note certain quantity limitations apply on printed publications.